Friday, November 20, 2009

Ethan Carl Brown


So, Emilee just posted Tuesday night that the baby would be here Thursday or Monday. Turns out Thursday was the winner. She went in for a stress test for the baby to see how he was doing at 9:00 Thursday morning. The test was supposed to take about 20 minutes and Emilee was supposed to call me with the results. The results were the deciding factor to see if he would be born Thursday or Monday. Emilee didn't call me until about 10:45 - those I work with would tell you that I was the one that needed a stress test at that point.

Anyway, she called me and told me to meet her in the labor/delivery area at the hospital. We were set up in a room by 11:30 and they took us in for the delivery at about 1:15. They, first, tried to turn the baby so Emilee could have a regular delivery. They were successful in turning him, but his heart rate dropped. They waited about 4 minutes or so to see if his heart rate would stabilize - in the mean time, moving Emilee around to see if that would help. Then, the doctor said he would wait 6 more minutes, but assured me that if they had to, he could "get the baby out of there in about 2 minutes."

We waited the 6 minutes and no change to baby's heart rate. I don't recall him saying anything in particular, but all of a sudden there were nurses running around everywhere (probably about 10 of them) and Emilee's doctor, along with the other doctor, began the c-section. It seemed like a whirlwind of nurses and medical supplies flew through the room and, as promised, baby Ethan was out in about 2 minutes. He was born at 1:30.

After that, I went with baby to the nursery while they took care of Emilee. I was in the nursery for about 45 minutes with Ethan while they cleaned him up and checked his vitals. Afterwords, I went to the recovery room to see Emilee. We were moved to Emilee's "permanent" quarters at about 3:30 and baby arrived soon after.

It was a pretty eventful day, but Emilee and Ethan are both doing very well. Emilee will probably be here for a few more days. (They say the average stay is 3 days for c-section)

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Congratulations to you guys!!! I am glad to hear that things are going well for you and that your little man is here!

Jen said...

Congrats Emily!!!! hope all goes well!

Mel and Angus said...

Very good job Emily! Baby looks cute and now Carl isn't the only man in the house! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Breanna said...

Oh what fun to have a little boy!!! He is darling and I love his name. Good choice! Hopefully all continues to go well with Emilee's recovery. We love you all and can't wait to chat with you soon.

Mike, Haley, and Emma said...

Congratulations, Emilee! He is darling!